Friday, March 03, 2006

oscar meyer weiners

it has been over a month since my last proper blog. i wanted to get back into things with a fairly upbeat post, but i can't find a working link to the blamed star trek personality quiz (could somebody help a brother out?!).

so in honor (wait for it...) of the upcoming oscar charade (ah, yes), i would like to proffer a list of award winners of recent memory which a) i have not seen and b) have no interest of seeing for as long as i live, for ever and ever, amen.

driving miss daisy 1989
i have seen a fair amount of winners from at least the 50s on, but the first one i passed on was driving miss daisy. i picture torturous, never ending bickering about age, race, the south and all the other shit that gets in the way of living. i pretty much guess there's going to be some pat life lesson. plus at the time i was pretty much into going clubbing and messing around with the ladies. oh god, why did i waste so much time?

the english patient 1996
to me this one reeked of pretension and high drama (ralph fiennes AND kristin scott thomas? how could theaters not implode?). couldn't get up the emotional resolve to see it.

titanic 1997
there must have been somthing going on in my life, cause i don't mind a little winslet now and then. the biggest motion picture of all time. and i haven't seen it! take that hollywood! fuck you, dicaprio!

chicago 2002
this is one that would have to get spousal approval to co-watch and neither of us are that interested. any reccomendations?

million dollar baby 2004
i've seen clint's best work: the westerns, dirty harry. i'm not a big fan of swanky, though and as much as i like morgan freeman, PLEASE TRY PLAYING A DIFFERENT CHARACTER! plus i heard it has a sad ending. and i'm into bitter sweet these days.

and the most recent movie i have not seen, is whatever wins this year!
seriosly. i have a three year old. i'll be lucky to get to see the curious george movie.

finally i have one thing i want to share, which is that i passed someone who looked a lot like ricky g. in soho today. come to find out he's on letterman tonight. i've been pretty chuffed about it all day for some reason.

11 Comments:

Blogger Lilly said...

Nice to see you back in business again, Melvin -- hey, no need to apologise for the lack of recent posts. Those things happen and sometimes it takes a wee while to get things back to 'normal' again...

Big LOL @ all the other shit that gets in the way of living

I'm a huge fan of Clint's westerns and Dirty Harry too. I have even named one of my plants after Clint...hehe...[PainterGirl can fill you in on my naming-my-plants-tendency].

Titanic is the only film on your list that I have watched. But let me tell you one thing: I refused to watch it for many years for much the same reasons as you, I guess. Until eventually it was on telly one night. We were at Alan's folks' house in Scotland and Alan pursuaded me into watching it; challenging me because he was convinced I'd end up crying* towards the end despite my negativity towards the whole film. So, provoked as I was and determined to prove Alan wrong, I watched it -- I bloody watched the film and what's worse: I DID END UP CRYING TOWARDS THE END....I've been beating myself up over it ever since. Damn and blast!


__________________________
* I am good at crying when I watch a film -- against my own will! It can be really annoying....

5:12 AM  
Blogger Lilly said...

Ah! You didn't actually apologise -- my mistake. Let me apologise: sorry :-)

I forgot to provide the link for the Star Trek Personality Quiz -- here we go:

http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/startrek/

--- enjoy!!!

5:18 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Wait a gosh darn second...how on earth did I see Driving Miss Daisy without you? Where were you? I know I rented The English Patient from the library and ironed. (I must have been feeling like I needed to torture myself)

Llly-I still cannot find the courage to watch Titantic.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Lilly said...

You rented a film to watch while you were ironing! Wow. That's what I call multi-tasking, PG ;-)

4:50 AM  
Blogger jos said...

no wonder you don't like to iron, pg. next time pick a different movie. thanks for dropping by again, lilly.

btw this blog is a challenge for other bloggers to list their missed oscar weiners as well. burn, hollywood. burn!

8:14 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

I was really trying to torture myself that day.

Why did we see Gladiator? I'm not that fond of Crowe and I hate the Romans, which is why I haven't seen Ben Hur.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Lilly said...

Good initiative, Melvin -- burn Hollywood burn!! .

It's gonna be difficult for me to comment on the Oscar winning films and stuff. I don't really keep up-to-date with the world of films. One thing I will say is this: I CANNOT STAND TOM HANKS -- the guys just bugs me. And I do mean that. The worst kind of film you can make me watch is a film that stars not only Tom Hanks but also MEG RYAN!!!!!

Gez, I am getting all worked up here now. Maybe it's good -- I can project all my anger, frustration and aggressions on to films with M. Ryan and T. Hanks.

I feel better already.

Thanks for listening.

Coffee time.

2:26 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Lilly you crack me up-melvin loathes the two of them as well. I don't like them, but my hatred isn't off the charts.

and another thing, how did I see parts of Chicago without you? What I saw irratated me. they tried too hard, and you know i like a movie that seems effortless. Ie someones dream or video of their life.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Lilly said...

LOL @ PG -- I cannae help it. They just trigger off a very angry reaction in me whenever I see them -- and especially if I see them together....

8:07 AM  
Blogger jos said...

i watched a movie with my son this weekend and was reminded what a good tom hanks movie it is: TOY STORY.

he was the voice of woody and i didn't have to watch him act or anything. perfect!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Lilly said...

Funny you mention Toy Story now! I just changed my bed linen from Toy Story* to some groovy purple and orange 70s pattern. ANYWAY, I watched Toy Story dubed into Danish -- I didn't even have to listen to Tom Wanks!
GRRRRRRREATT!!
__________________
* Yes, I know I just turned 30....

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hits.